Chicago GEAR UP Outcomes
GEAR UP Graduating Class of 2011
(The next GEAR UP graduating class will be in 2016.)
Providing direct student services is a major focus of the GEAR UP program. In academic year 2011, Chicago GEAR UP served 11,784 11th and 12th graders in 21 cohort high schools.
From the graduating class of 2011:
* 65% of GEAR UP students enrolled in college.
* 95.5% of GEAR UP students successfully completed their FAFSA applications.
* GEAR UP students received over $30 million dollars in scholarships.
* Of the 24 Gates Foundation Scholarships awarded to Chicago Public Schools, GEAR UP students received 12 of them.
* GEAR UP partnered with the Illinois Education Foundation (IEF) to secure 22 City Colleges of Chicago scholarships.
* Participation in GEAR UP's Freshman Connection program, a transition to high school program, was associated with an increase of 4% in the passing rate of 9th grade algebra classes and a 5.4% increase in their on-track status to graduate.